You will need-
- 1.5 kilos of Tomatoes
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves finely chopped
- Thyme 2-3 sprigs (stems)
- For each tomato, cut the core a couple of Cm's out of top and then put a cross with a sharp knife across the bottom of each tomato.
- Put the tomatoes into a pot of boiling water for 20 seconds then lift them out into a bowl of cold ice water (you can put ice cubes into a big bowl of cold water).
- Now you can pull the skins off easily- the hot/cold water trick helps this.
- Cut the tomatoes in half through the centre- so horizontal if tomato is sitting upright.
- Place on a non stick tray and drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over the top of all tomatoes, sprinkle on salt and pepper to season.
- Finely chopped garlic cloves.
- Roughly tear apart a couple of sprigs of thyme and sprinkle over last.
- Cook on low heat in the oven at 120 degrees Fahrenheit (50 degrees Celsius) for 3-4 hours. They will cook down to about half their size.
- Once you take them out of oven, leave them to totally cool and then place in a jar or container and drizzle over some extra virgin olive oil.
They are perfect for-
- a snack on their own
- on some dried biscuits
- thrown through a salad
- on toasted Turkish bread with brie and rocket
- added to a pasta dish.
Hint: The skin is removed to stop tomatoes from being tough.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS RECIPE IS FOR ADULTS TO COOK, not children.